Sunday, November 23, 2008

Official Property Owner

In August I decided that I wanted to buy my own place. Lucky me I found my condo on the first day. The whole process after that point was a huge pain in the butt. All the approvals and documents ect ect. The timing was horrible on my part. This was during the time that I had a lot of pain from kidney stones and I actually ended up closing on the condo the same day as my surgery. Then all the real work began. The previous owner had the ceiling, walls and baseboards painted the same color. You can't tell in these pictures, but it was the color a wedding dress turns when it's really old and rotted. It was not cute. There was a lot of work to be done. My Dad is amazing. He has helped me every step of the way, and he was there working on my condo more than I was. He has helped me with everything from picking paint colors to the really big project that I couldn't begin to understand. It feels like we have been working on the condo for forever, and we are almost done!!! We've come a long way and it's been fun, but we're both ready to be done. Sometimes I think my dad is going to kill me. Every time we're close to being done, I give him another project. He always says he will do whatever projects I want, that he just wants me to be happy, but I know he just wants to be done. The latest project I added was that I decided I wanted to paint the kitchen cabinets. And then I decided that the kitchen was kind of boring with the cabinets all white and I want a little bit of spunk and and sassiness. So I decided that I wanted to paint the insides of the cabinets a different color. This time I went on my own to pick the color. I got the color and went home and started painting. This is what I ended up with. When my dad walked in and saw what I was doing, he said "what did you do that for?" like I didn't realize I was painting in a different color. I'm sure he was thinking "Gosh I leave you a lone for an hour and you go and screw everything up!" At first I was really excited and I loved it. Then the more I looked at it, I started to second guess myself and I didn't know what I was going to do. I didn't really like it, but I didn't want to add more work for my dad. But, luckily it has stared to grow on me, and I am happy with it now. It was just too much turquoise for a minute. So anyway- we are now officially nearing the end. I have no plans to add anymore projects and hopefully I will be all moved in next weekend. I am just so excited to have something that is mine. I enjoy spending a fair amount of time by myself doing my own thing. And now I can do that all I want. No more wasting money on renting, no more roommates to be annoyed with and clean up after. It's just my own place. I'm super excited! Thanks for all your hard work Dad, you're my hero!

3 comments:

Ghkk said...

Brooke

I love the cabinets! I think when you fill them with stuff it won't seem as bright because you will only see spots of it. Congrats on almost being done!!

eclaires said...

Wahoo! I love the turquoise cabinets! Seriously. It won't be too much turquoise as soon as you put dishes and food inside them. I love it! And I love that you have a blog! :)

Nicole said...

Wow! I love it! Good for you!