Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Boo for Kidney Stones!!

I really hope that everyone who reads this has seen The Princess Bride. If you haven't, add it to your list of things to do before you die. There is a part of the movie where Princess Buttercup is having a dream that she went through with the wedding to Prince Humperdink. (Humperdink, Humperdink, Humperdink!) She is standing in the castle square and this ishy old lady publicly calls her out for marrying another while her true love lives. The old lady boos Princess Buttercup so hardcore that it wakes her up from her dream.... That is how I feel about kidney stones and health issues in general. I boo them with such distain and firey intensity that it could make me sit upright out of a dead to the world deep sleep.
Some of you may know that I have had continuous pain from chronic kidney stones for over four years. I got my first kidney stone in august of 2004. I was living in Kaunas,Lithuania and the pain made me sit straight up at about 3am. I thought I was dying, and if I wasn't dying I was thinking that death would be a better alternative. In my small reality at that time I thought that nothing could be worse than having to go to the doctor or hospital in a foreign country, so I didn't go until 3 months later. The doctors told me that they could go up there with these prong things and pull them out, or I could deal with the pain until they passed. I chose to deal but my next problem was that they never passed, they just kept growing for 4 years. 8 months ago, in my slightly larger but still quite small reality I decided that nothing could be worse than having kidney stones. So after months and months of testing, persciptions, and endless dr appts. I finally figured out why I kept getting kidney stones, and why I had been in so much pain. I started out having weeks between kidney "episodes" to the point that I was in pain everyday. And for the last 5 months I have been on Lortab or Percocet everyday. 5 months!! I know it's horrible, but I finally broke down and had surgery. October 10th was the big day. Somehow I had conviced myself that I was going to be feeling super fantasically awesome after the surgery. I was so so so wrong. I don't think I have ever been so wrong in my whole life. However, I am so so so happy to report that I am finally back to normal. During the surgery, they put in something called stent. I won't go into detail, but I am convinced that a stent is a torture device. If your doctor ever brings it up as a possibility, you should run away! I got the stent removed about 2 weeks ago (i'll spare you those details as well) and I am FINALLY back in action. I feel like a brand new woman, and I am so excited!

1 comment:

Kare Bear said...

ses - i'm glad you're back in action... really glad.